How to Contact Us for Legal Help


Where We Are

Legal Services of North Dakota has offices in Bismarck, Minot, Grand Forks, Fargo, Belcourt and New Town. View the office addresses and hours of operation.

How To Get Help

To apply for assistance you will need to make an application for services. You can make an application one of three ways; by telephone, online application, or meeting with an LSND representative at an outreach location. (When calling, please try to have any paperwork related to your case in front of you.)

Who We Serve

See below for an explanation of restrictions on who we can serve.

Area Served: North Dakota

Ages Served:

Wheelchair Accessible: Yes

Access for the deaf: Phone relay

Income Guidelines: Generally 125% of poverty, but higher income limits, or no income limits depending on the type of case or client age.

Other Requirements:

  • For help, you must be a U.S. citizen or provide proof of your immigration status if your case is accepted.

For the following types of cases, you should call a private attorney in your local area.

  • Legal Services of North Dakota does not provide representation in criminal matters. If you have been charged with a crime and need a lawyer, please call the public defender’s office.
  • We cannot provide representation if you are incarcerated and need a lawyer, even for non-criminal matters.
  • We do not provide representation in worker’s compensation cases, personal injury claims, or any cases in which a fee can be generated.

If you disagree with our decision that you are not eligible or your case is not one that can be accepted, you have the right to appeal to our Executive Director. To make your appeal, call or write to: Executive Director, C/O Bradley Peterson, Legal Services of ND, Bismarck ND 58501 or phone (701) 222-2110.

Type of Help

LSND provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:

Emergency Instructions

If your problem is an emergency as described below, follow the contact instructions for emergency cases. Most offices are open on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., unless otherwise noted.

What is an Emergency? Court hearing or other legal deadline within 5 businsess days; no food; no shelter; child taken by CPS or other unauthorized person.

Emergency Contact Information: Client explains emergency to receptionist and intake is taken even if otherwise closed.