Complete Topic List


What Can I Do About Medical Bills?

Can I Get Help With Medical Bills?

  • Some hospitals and clinics in North Dakota operate a Charity Care program.
  • Under a charity care program, the medical facilities reduce the medical debt based on the patient's financial situation. Not all medical facilities in North Dakota have charity
    care programs.

  • You should contact your local medical facility to see if they provide a charity care program.

How Are Medical Bills Different From Other Bills?

  • North Dakota law states: an account for medical services, except an account for medical services of a licensed nursing facility or basic care facility, does not become delinquent until ninety (90) days have passed following receipt of the billed medical services.
  • An account for medical services of a licensed nursing facility or basic care facility does not become delinquent until 45 days have passed following billing of the medical services.
  • A medical creditor collecting the allowed late payment or interest must provide the debtor with a monthly statement which must include:
    • The percentage amount of the late payment charge which will be charged after the billed services become delinquent
    • The unpaid balance
    • Any amount subtracted
    • Any amount paid by the debtor
    • The amount of the late payment charge

If I'm Making Payments, Can My Bill Be Turned Over For Collection?

Yes. Even if you are making your monthly payments on time, the creditor can still turn the bill over to a collection agency or sue you to get a judgment. If the collection or creditor gets a judgment, they will get at least 6% interest on the bill from the date of judgment entered.

A judgment is a written court decision. It allows the creditor to try to garnish your wages or bank accounts or try to sell your property to pay the bill.

Besides Interest, Are There Any Other Fees I Am Required To Pay?

  • Each time the sheriff serves you papers, he charges a fee. These fees are added to the judgment.
  • In addition, each time the sheriff is able to collect some money to reduce the judgment, the county gets a percentage of the money.

Disclaimer: This information is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should talk to a lawyer and ask for advice about your options.

Published by Legal Services of North Dakota
June 2019
NDCC § 13-01-14.1